University of Mount Union, Alliance, OH—bachelor’s degree in writing with a minor in web design, 2019.
ONLINE WRITING AND PRINT EXPERIENCE
Co-author of Quieting the Madness: Entertainment Media’s Shift into More Accurate Depictions of Mental Illness—Sept. 2018-present
- Authored a chapter comparing the portrayal of depression in Pride and Prejudice (2005) to antidepressant commercials from the early 2000s.
This forthcoming book offers a scholarly perspective on the more realistic ways film and television are beginning to portray mental illness. It’s a great opportunity to be a part of a book individuals with PhDs are also contributing to.
UX Writer for University of Mount Union—Sept. 2018-present
- Copyedited the newly launched site to make the content more student-friendly.
- Created copy decks totaling over 80 pages to communicate my edits to the marketing team.
Copy Intern for LearnVest, New York, NY—June 2018 – Aug. 2018
- Edited copy for FAQs, notifications, and documentation for internal apps.
- Researched and pitched ideas for naming native apps, company intranet, and email newsletter that goes out to 10,000 people.
- Accounted for all copy fields in end-to-end user flows, including multiple use cases.
- Designed user testing for research and documented user reactions on prototypes for UX research.
- Delivered presentations to team leadership and stakeholders from other teams.
- Collaborated with interns from other teams on intern projects.
Working for LearnVest was my first opportunity to work on a professional team of copywriters and with stakeholders from other teams. It taught me how to make combine creativity with functionality.
Travel Writing Intern for Global Treks and Adventures, Reykjavik, Iceland—July 2018-Sept. 2018
Traveled to Iceland to explore the southeastern part of the country and experience the culture, interviewed people for a Humans of New York-style project as well as a project on tourism and economics for a cultural travel guide.
Book Reviewer/Interviewer for Alternating Current Press’s The Coil—Feb. 2018 – Sept. 2018
Reviewed various books and interviewed authors for Alternating Current Press’s literary magazine, The Coil.
Editorial Intern for Cleveland Magazine, Cleveland, OH—Aug. 2017 – Dec. 2017
- Fact-checked 450+ restaurant listings and 30+ articles for print
- Conducted interviews, produced 10 articles for print deadline.
Writing for Cleveland Magazine, in addition to introducing me to the environment and pace of a regional magazine, vastly improved my time-management skills and confirmed that I can, in fact, work on a tight deadline.
Travel Blogger for Anderson Coach and Travel — Dec. 2016 – Apr. 2017
- Traveled to New York City, Washington DC, and Virginia Beach, writing about my adventures along the way.
- Managed a travel blog.
Writing and managing the blog for Anderson gave me the freedom to hone my blogging style and my first real opportunity to write on a deadline.
Blogger for BookRenter—May 2016 – Sept. 2016
Wrote monthly blog posts for BookRenter for an audience of college students. These posts appeared both on BookRenter’s blog—which has since been removed—and their Facebook page.
Copy Editor for HIV on TV: Popular Culture’s Epidemic (2018) by Dr. Malynnda Johnson—2017
Worked with the author to clarify and prepare her work before it was sent to her publishers. Paid in sushi.
Radio Host for WRMU 91.1, University of Mount Union—Jan. 2018 – May 2018
Hosted the University of Mount Union’s radio program for two hours weekly.
Host of The Scully Hour—Jan. 2018 – May 2018
Hosted, produced, and edited a podcast that focused on and analyzed Americana folklore.
- experienced in WordPress, Audacity, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- exposed to C, C#, and .NET